"snap"

Tue Apr 7 18:49:10 UTC 2009

This squares with my intuition exactly.
------Original Message------
From: Arnold Zwicky
Sender: ADS-L
To: ADS-L
ReplyTo: ADS-L
Subject: Re: [ADS-L] "snap"
Sent: Apr 7, 2009 1:01 PM

On Apr 6, 2009, at 7:16 PM, Mark Mandel wrote:

> This question is addressed especially to Wilson, because it's in his
> posts
> that I remember seeing it, but of course it's open to anyone. What's
> with
> the written / (spoken?) interjection "Snap!"?

from the Urban Dictionary under "snap" (entry 31):

Pertaining to the Gay snap culture in the 80's. It's used to puncuate
an insult by snapping the fingers. Today it's used mostly by the young
black culture

Girl, I saw your weave at Kmart...OH SNAP (*snaps fingers*)

check out the "In Living Color" "Men on X" sketches (beginning with
"Men on Film"), in which Damon Wayans and David Alan Grier play two
flamboyantly effeminate gay men reviewing films, tv, etc.  almost
every sketch had finger-snapping accompanying the opinions.

arnold