Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Apr 23 20:07:40 UTC 2009

At 3:36 PM -0400 4/23/09, Michael McKernan wrote:
>  My father, who grew up in eastern Massachusetts (b.1924) often spoke
>of this lake, translating the name as:  "You fish on your side of the
>lake, we fish on our side of the lake, nobody fish in the middle of the
>lake."  Seems like it might be a more accurate translation than the
>seemingly literal one quoted below.
>
>  Michael McKernan

Yup, and it is so recorded in _The Book of
Amazing Facts_, which I grew up with.  (There was
also a town in Wales, complete with a railway
station, that had an even longer name, which I
can no longer recall if indeed I ever could.)

LH

P.S.  I recall it as "You Fish On Your Side, We
Fish On Our Side, Nobody Fish in the Middle",
which always struck me as echt American Indian,
as we used to say.