Stress on "donate"

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Aug 6 21:41:50 UTC 2009

I wonder What is the key feature of stress in a word in USA English?  Pitch, loudness, duration?  Is one element the key?

For "donate" in USA I would assume DOE-nate ~doenaet.  This shifts to second syllable for "donation" doe-NAY-shin  ~doennaeshin.

I don't know about Canada.  For UK thefreedictionary.com gives stress on the second syllable, for USA the first.

see truespel.com phonetic spelling

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Tony Au
> Subject: Stress on "donate"
>
> According to several dictionaries online, the word "donate" can be stressed
> on the first or the second syllable, though I've heard it only on the first.
> However, I've noticed in a commercial on an Ontario radio station as well as
> in a line in Corner Gas (a Canadian sitcom) people stressing the second
> syllable of "donate." Does anyone know if this is more prevalent in Canadian
> English (or for that matter, how prevalent it is in American English)?
>
> Thanks,
> Tony Au

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.
http://windowslive.com/explore?ocid=PID23384::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:NF_BR_sync:082009