"Shape up or ship out"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 10 17:55:00 UTC 2009

How'd I miss that?

It seems to me that while WWII was still on, drill sergeants would have been
unlikely to say "shape up or ship out" because "shipping out," it also seems
to me,  implied
being sent overseas to an unknown fate after training rather than
being unwillingly transferred elsewhere for ineptitude. After the war,
"shipping out" was more likely to imply removal.

OTOH, "shape up or ship out" would have been quite a threat to military
people in the States or other safe areas, who had completed training and had
pretty soft jobs.

JL