"Shape up or ship out"

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Mon Aug 10 18:40:04 UTC 2009

Thanks for the information, Jonathan!

I just leafed briskly through a dozen or two issues of _Collier's_ from 1952 and early 1953, my eyes especially peeled for a picture of a "top kick" that might be indicative (and trying not to linger over the many cartoons).  But I found nothing relevant.

There was, in the issue for 7 Feb. 1953, p. 33, an ad for Canada Dry sparkling water that featured the product's "BLEND-ABILITY"--which reminded me of the current TV commercials about the "drinkability" of Bud Light. Equally silly.

And there were an astonishing number of ads for cigarettes; how times do change!

--Charlie