eggcorn "cudboard"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 12 01:16:21 UTC 2009

I do use "clapboard" as another example of loss of transparency; at
least in New England it usually gets the "clabberd" pronunciation,
but it's even harder to analyze that as "clap" (from the Dutch) +
"board".  On the other hand, when you think about it, the "board"
part is a lot *more* transparent semantically here than with
"cupboard", so it's not quite as good an example of loss of
transparency in sound paralleling that in meaning, plus as you say a
lot of the kids don't know from clapboard but they all have some
familiarity with cupboards (and clipboards).

LH