a locus classicus for fronted "anymore"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Aug 19 02:12:41 UTC 2009

At 9:30 PM -0400 8/18/09, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Just to repeat what I said long ago so newbies don't need to look it up...
>
>When I first heard fronted _anymore_ ca1974-75, it was so weird sounding I
>wasn't sure I could tell what it meant, no less use it myself.  It took me a
>very long time to get used to.
>
>Maybe it ws just me.
>
>JL

Not just you.  Labov somewhere describes a study
in which his subjects (including those who live
in areas where real live positive "anymore"s can
be heard) report that it must either mean "still"
or  "not anymore" (the speaker presumably having
forgotten the "not" part), neither of which of
course is true.  And Bob Greene had an old column
in the Chicago Sun-Times reporting similar
reactions to his innocently using a positive
"anymore" in a column, leading to readers telling
him what he must have meant (but in fact didn't).

LH