The (former) president's reading lesson

Jocelyn Limpert jocelyn.limpert at GMAIL.COM
Sun Aug 23 15:28:07 UTC 2009

People did comment -- and the film clip was shown numerous times, with
people like me wondering what on earth was going through his mind and why he
was not reacting and immediately excusing himself (no one had to know what
was wrong, just that he had to excuse himself for a moment and tend to
presidential "business"! The TV coverage was 24/7 and this was a part of it
-- remember there were lots of hours to fill and keep repeating everything
over and over and over.

Also memorable was watching the Cabinet meeting, shown fewer times, where
Bush was supposedly "presiding" as president, but was caught live on TV
shown slinking down in his chair after he though it was over and he was off
camera -- looking like a little kid who had just had to make a speech in
front of his class and didn't know how to do it -- and he didn't. He was
very unpresidential, the "leader" of our country. That was before he got
"tough" and got us into Iraq. A wonderful story, isn't it?