btdub(s)

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 11 01:31:19 UTC 2009

When I bought my first short in 1962, it was referred to as either a "V-Dub"
or as a "V-Wagon," in the 'hood in L.A. But these are so obvious that I
didn't hear them anywhere else probably because I didn't be anywhere else.

-Wilson

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Dennis Baron <debaron at illinois.edu> wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Dennis Baron <debaron at ILLINOIS.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: btdub(s)

> Is there an entry somewhere for 'dub' = 'w' ?
>
> don't forget TWA was called t-dub by employees and occasionally by
> those who wanted to appear "in the know." And George Washington U is
> referred to as g-dub.  Bush II as dubya has the prefixed form dub-.
>
> DB (with no u in between the letters)
> ____________________
> Dennis Baron
> Professor of English and Linguistics
> Department of English
> University of Illinois
> 608 S. Wright St.
> Urbana, IL 61801
>
> office: 217-244-0568
> fax: 217-333-4321
>
> http://www.illinois.edu/goto/debaron
>
> read the Web of Language:
> http://www.illinois.edu/goto/weboflanguage
>

> On Dec 10, 2009, at 3:03 PM, Geoff Nathan wrote:

> > -----------------------
> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> > Poster:       Geoff Nathan <geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU>
> > Subject:      Re: btdub(s)

> > Actually it did take off in Canada, where it's frequently pronounced
> > 'triple double-u', for example on radio and TV stations giving out
> > URL's.
> >
> > Geoff
> >
> > Geoffrey S. Nathan
> > Faculty Liaison, C&IT
> > and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
> > +1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
> > +1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)

-Wilson
–––
All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"––a strange complaint to come
from the mouths of people who have had to live.
–Mark Twain