Eggcorn? "warn" > "worn"

Matthew Gordon gordonmj at MISSOURI.EDU
Mon Feb 9 15:28:04 UTC 2009

That's a tough call. Should we teach our students a system of phonetic
representation used by an international community of scholars and available
in standard reference works including the OED or should we instead teach
them an idiosyncratic system developed by a parochial amateur who lacks even
an elementary understanding of the concept of the phoneme?