Most common sound for words ending in letter "a"

Randy Alexander strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 11 05:31:02 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 4:58 AM, Gordon, Matthew J.
<GordonMJ at missouri.edu> wrote:
> Larry's comments reminded me of something I wanted to check with the =
> list about. I have /a/ in "bla(h), bla(h), bla(h)" but I have a =
> colleague who uses /=E6/ (as in BAT) here. She's from Baltimore, but I =
> don't know that it's a regional thing. Are there others who use /=E6/ in =
> "bla(h)"?=20

I believe that the letter combination "ah" when alone, or at word
ending, does double duty standing for [a] as well as [æ] (ash) in
interjections: ah, hah, blah.

--
Randy Alexander
Jilin City, China