"Coffee" as the name of a female slave

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 12 20:37:17 UTC 2009

On the contrary, arnold, Irish surnames are very common among amongst
the colored, to the extent thaat I literally choked when I saw a
letter to the editor of TIME claiming that the Irish had nothing to do
with slavery, since there were none here, till after the Potato Famine
hit.

McGrew, Joyce, McBride, McComb, Lee, Carroll (Charles Carroll of
Carrollton, the only Catholic to sign the Declararion and brother of
Sean "John" Carroll, the first Catholic bishop in the United States,
was a slave-holder), FitzGerald, Connor, O'Connor, O'Brien, McNeil,
O'Neal, O'Neil, O'Bryan,
Healy, Kelly, McTeer, FitzMaurice, O'Leary, Riley, etc., etc., etc.

Patrick Healy, SJ, the "Second Founder of Georgetown," after whom the
Healy Bldg is named, and his brother, James, the "nigger" bishop of
Portland, ME, were of African-Irish descent.

If "Coffee" and its variants are rare in my experience, it's merely a
coincidence. I've never met a white person by this name, either.

Besides, how would looking into a telephone book tell you the race of
the bearer of a particular name? Unless, of course, you already held
the unwarranted, prejudged opinion that, somehow, a _single_ name of
genuine African origin had survived among black Americans, despite all
evidence to the contrary that none has survived.

Can you understand why this kind of thing might strike a random black
person as the height of racism, even if the white person involved
wouldn't care a whit whether his sister married one?

Oh, BTW, I went to grade school with boy surnamed "Sandoz." According
to various ANS respondents, this name is of Swiss origin. You may
recall that it as a Swiss company named "Sandoz" that developed
thalidomide.

-Wilson

-Wilson
–––