"Coffee" as the name of a female slave

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 12 21:15:52 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Wilson Gray <hwgray at gmail.com> wrote:

 (snip long discussion of name "Coffee", variously spelled, and
relevant urban sociogeography)

> Does anyone know the origin of the black (to the best of my knowledge)
> surname, "Swyza"? The bearer of this name was known as "Big Swayze."
> Hence, until it was too late to ask, I assumed that Big's surname was
> the same as John Cameron's.

Not that it's (IMHO) out of place here, but ISTM that both of these
topics might be *exactly* on-topic on ANS-L.

OTOH, when I paused in composing this post to check ANS-L, the hot
topic there was the use of "song /'bael at t/" to mean a written or
printed copy of a song.

If the lists are going to converge... No, let's not go there.

m a m
abusing initialisms since ICRW