All 40 USA English phonemes (Was Re: Eggcorn? "warn" > "worn")

Gordon, Matthew J. GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Sun Feb 15 00:33:55 UTC 2009

There's also the fact that velar is back and alveolar is front. I'd like to think that that was just an inadvertent error, but given some of Tom's other comments on phonetics, who knows?

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society on behalf of RonButters at AOL.COM
Sent: Sat 2/14/2009 6:08 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:      Re:       Re: [ADS-L] All 40 USA English phonemes (Was Re: Eggcorn? "warn" > "worn")

Nonsense. Elementary contrary evidence is found in scores of minimal pairs,
e.g., "thin" and "thing."
Allophones by definition do not contrast in minimal pairs.

In a message dated 2/13/09 2:51:03 PM, truespel at HOTMAIL.COM writes:

> The front or velar n and back or alveolar n are just allophones of one
> another.

Nothing says I love you like flowers! Find a florist near you
now. (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000002)