Surprise

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 17 16:35:45 UTC 2009

There may be another phenomenon involved here.  In iambic words like
"surprise" in which the second syllable begins with a fortis stop, the
vowel of the first syllable may devoice in allegro speech.  You may
hear this in words like "Detroit."  Because of the devoicing it's
pretty much impossible to hear a rhotic effect on the voiceless vowel.
 This, of course, doesn't address the question of what happens to the
rhotic coloring of the schwa in "surprise" when the schwa is voiced.

Herb