relative "that" again

Randy Alexander strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 21 15:14:17 UTC 2009

On Sat, Feb 21, 2009 at 10:07 PM, Herb Stahlke <hfwstahlke at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would expect "now" to be stressed wherever it's used, and BPB
> rendering of Psalm 121 uses "not" in both stressed and unstressed
> positions.  In v. 4 the stressed "not" is postverbal, which is a
> marked position for it.  I'm looking for a searchable copy of the BPB
> to check further on the use of "that."

If you find any, let me know; all I've found so far are PDFs of
original editions, and one useless OCR attempt.

I didn't want to say without anything to back it up (it's been 13
years since I've spent much time with this sort of thing), but the
stress in these early English metrical Psalms are not so strict, for
example Psalm X:7-8:

7. His mouth with cursing filled is,
    deceits and fallacy:
    under his tongue perverseness is,
    also iniquity.
8. In the close places of the towns
    he sits, in secret dens
    he slays the harmless: 'gainst the poor
    slyly his eyes down bends.

Stress on the second syllables of "under", "also", and "slyly", and
stress on "the"!

Haven't found any other headless relatives yet.

--
Randy Alexander
Jilin City, China