relative "that" again

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 21 14:09:16 UTC 2009

Gerald,

This is what is generally taught in pedagogical grammars and is widely
believed among writing teachers.  Reference grammars and grammatical
studies have found for about a century that the two thats are the
same, both of them subordinating conjunctions.  Convincing people of
this, including some linguists, is not easy.  In fact, Johan van der
Auwera, whose 1984 paper was cited by Neal Whitman earlier in this
thread, makes the interesting argument that relative that represents a
historical conflation of two Old English forms, the conjunction Te and
the demonstrative Taet (where T stands for Old English thorn), and
that its modern behavior represents that combination in being
partially pronominal.  He claims that modern relative that has not yet
fully taken on pronominal behavior but that it does have some
pronominal traits.  He addresses, in part, the question I raised as to
whether native speaker perception could change grammatical description
and answers it with a tentative yes.

Herb