Dyslexia and English Orthography was "surprise"

Sun Feb 22 20:23:14 UTC 2009

It does occur in a number of US/NAm dialects, though, both in the POT
and CAUGHT classes.  Here in Michigan, though there's plenty of
variability, it's the majority form in CAUGHT.  It occurs in a lot of
dialects for the reflex of a merged COT/CAUGHT class, especially east
of the Mississippi.  A longish version can occur in NORTH in Eastern
New England, and a short one in POT.  So, although the dictionaries
don't always separate it from [O], it's far from a foreign sound to
us.  It's just that an [D] (and, again, I don't know what symbol to
use here, I don't mean eth) vs. [O] phonemic contrast isn't common
over on this side of the pool.

Paul Johnston