Dyslexia and English Orthography was "surprise"

M Covarrubias mcovarru at PURDUE.EDU
Sun Feb 22 06:43:49 UTC 2009

On Feb 21, 2009, at 11:46 PM, Tom Zurinskas wrote:

> Being an American in the "American Dialect Society" I thought I
> might get an American English word I could hear in m-w.com.  I'm not
> sure how "pot" sounds in UK, but probably the "awe" vowel, which is
> ~au in truespel.

it is not the same vowel that you're thinking it is. the description
you were given is accurate.

the question of whether discussions of dialects other than american
dialects are appropriate in this forum has been dealt with before.
whether you believe this is the [[american dialect] society] or the
[american [dialect society]] doesn't really matter in this case. the
symbol indicates a sound that is more common in british englishes and
which few american dictionaries would bother to represent.

if you'd like to hear the vowel visit the following page and click on
the bottom right-most symbol. (it looks like a script 'a' rotated 180
degrees)

http://www.phonetics.ucla.edu/course/chapter1/vowels.html

michael