Rare Dialects

David Metevia djmetevia at CHARTERMI.NET
Tue Feb 24 01:36:41 UTC 2009

I haven't read all of the messages on slurred speech yet, but was
thinking that folks were thinking that slurred = elided speech.
However, there are probably other characteristics of dialects in
addition to contractions - not the right word, but can't think of it at
the moment & one of the experts will quickly set me straight ;-)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 19:02
Subject: Rare Dialects

---------------------- Information from the mail header
-----------------------
Poster:       RonButters at AOL.COM
-------

linguists=20
on the list have noted, "slurred" is not an appropriate label for
dialect=20
variation because:

1. it has pejorative connotations reminiscent of prescriptivist labeling
2. it is generally used in the scientific literature, if at all, to=20
characterize qualities of speech that stem from brain damage or
neurological=
 imparement
3. as a descriptor of dialect variation it is otherwise vague and
imprecise.

Of course, not being a prescriptivist myself, I have no right to
prescribe=20
how you use words. You can call Mississippi speech shit-tongued for all
I ca=
re.=20
I'm just suggesting that, on a list-serv that was initially started so
that=20
people with a serious interest in American Speech could exchange
information=
=20
about their work and observations, you might want to bend in the
direction o=
f=20
paying attention to the precise language of the trade.=20