ADS-L Digest - 22 Feb 2009 to 23 Feb 2009 (#2009-55)

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 26 17:57:19 UTC 2009

The word "just" ~just (with short u) I hear often said ~jist (with short i) in certain phrases (just a minute)

from m-w.com
Main Entry:1just
Pronunciation:\ˈjəst, ˈjüst\

Curiously above has two pronunciations.  The first is ~just.  The second is with a long u ~juest and sounds like "juiced".  I've never heard this in USA.  Sounds like UK to me.

see truespel.com

> Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 21:40:34 -0500
> From: laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
> Subject: Re: ADS-L Digest - 22 Feb 2009 to 23 Feb 2009 (#2009-55)
> To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU

> Sender: American Dialect Society
> Poster: Laurence Horn
> Subject: Re: ADS-L Digest - 22 Feb 2009 to 23 Feb 2009 (#2009-55)
>
> At 6:17 PM -0500 2/25/09, Herb Stahlke wrote:
>>I have a contrast between "just" meaning "fair" and the adverb "just"
>>as in "just a minute." The adjective has inverted lower case a, the
>>lower mid central vowel. The adverb has barred i.
>>
>>Herb
>
> Hmmm. I agree about the barred-i for the adverb,
> but for me the adjective has something more like
> a wedge. Or maybe I've never actually considered
> what that upside-down print a is and whether or
> not it's part of my inventory; I see on the IPA
> chart that it's slightly less back than the wedge
> and slightly lower. I really have no idea;
> vowels are tough cookies.
>
> LH
>

>>On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Paul A Johnston, Jr.
>> wrote:
>>> ---------------------- Information from the
>>>mail header -----------------------
>>> Sender: American Dialect Society
>>> Poster: "Paul A Johnston, Jr."
>>> Subject: Re: ADS-L Digest - 22 Feb 2009 to 23 Feb 2009 (#2009-55)
>>>
>>>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> Wilson,
>>> Yes, there is, and there are probably
>>>languages (most likely in Northern Asia) that
>>>contrast the two.
>>> To me, the unrounded /u/ has lower pitch, and
>>>sounds more "/u/-like" to someone who doesn't
>>> have one; the barred /i/ sounds more /i/ or
>>>/I/ like. Compare the Japanese u to the
>>>Russian sound
>>> written with what looks like a joined b and I.
>>>Many of us will have a lowered barred /i/ in
>>>things like
>>> rib, rip, and when unstressed in many words (I
>>>have it in the second syllable of things like
>>>chicken).
>>> Unrounded /u/ is sporadic at best in
>>>English--I've worked with dialects that usually
>>>have unrounded
>>> /o/ in CUP, and unrounded /u/ in this class
>>>occurs, but at very low frequency.
>>>
>>> Paul Johnston

Access your email online and on the go with Windows Live Hotmail.
http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_AE_Access_022009