Ethnic-based terms of contempt

Victor aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 27 19:05:18 UTC 2009

The Slang dictionary, the link to which I posted earlier--at least,
volume IV, which is the one covered there--holds a treasure trove of
them, because that's the volume with both I and J (that would be Irish,
Indian and Jew). Most of LH's "Irish" terms listed below are included. I
will run down the rest later, but will mention that among them, there is
the obvious "getting the Irish up", but with Dutch and Indian variations
as well--in particular, "Indian" is marked as the American version. Also
Irish root, Irish toothache, Irish harvest, Irish whist, Irish fortune,
Irish rifle and Irishman's hurricane. I'll let the cat out of the bag
later, if no one bothers to look. Under Irish arms/legs, there is also a
cross-reference to "mullingar heifer"--an ethnic insult if I ever heard
one. (But no cross-reference to "Jewish legs", which is an expression I
am familiar with from at least three languages. ;-)

    VS-)