Ethnic-based terms of contempt

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 27 20:41:06 UTC 2009

Unfortunately, the subtext can escape your notice when it's not
relevant to your own experience of life.

In the last issue of TIME, a white man has written a letter to the
editor taking black Harvard professor, Henry "Skip" Gates, to task for
claiming that "nigger" is not necessarily a term of opprobrium when
used between or among speakers who are themselves black. The writer
states that Gates is wrong. "Nigger" is unequivocally an insult, under
any and all circumstances. Period.

The clear subtext: niggers don't know shit, even when they're
discussing their own speech acts, regardless of their academic status
or level of education or social position. What has led me to this
conclusion? Why, the mere fact, that as a white person, this is my
considered analysis of the situation. If I'm white, then I'm right,
though I've not experienced so much as a nanosecond of the life of any
black person.

-Wilson
–––
-----