Forteh: UK pronunciation

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 9 00:30:01 UTC 2009

Larry writes:

"I grew up mostly hearing "fortay" and at some point I consciously
switched to "fort"once I realized it was a French loan and not an Italian,
Spanish, or Latin one.  I hear both in the U.S., but usually the bisyllabic
version."

To paraphrase him slightly:

I grew up reading "forte" as "for-tay" and at some point I consciously
switched to "fort," once I read somewhere or other that this word is
French in the relevant meaning. I hear both in the U.S., but almost
always the disyllabic version.

-Wilson
–––
-----