Eggcorns?

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Tue Jan 13 12:23:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 19:41:50 -0800, Arnold Zwicky <zwicky at STANFORD.EDU>
wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2009, at 9:19 AM, Wilson Gray wrote:

>> ZDNet Letters to the Editor:
>>
>> Writer A. And the competition [for sales] is tough at $199-$249.
>>
>> Writer B. [Yes, but] the _pricing giving_ was probably based on a
>> _'work-case scenario'_.
>
> the first is likely to be a typo -- perseveration of the "-ing".  but
> the second looks promising.

It did look promising to me, but I find two sorts of usages:

1/ Juxtaposed with "best case scenario". This could be a slip of the
fingers.
2/ In project management, where possibly it is used intentionally as a
jargon term. ("Students will find a suitable work case scenario." etc).

Chris Waigl