spelling the interlabial trill Unlucky Joe.

Carter Rila elcutachero at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 29 07:52:10 UTC 2009

The Unluckiest Man in the World Joe BFTSPLK

When I was a kid in Franklin, PA, we all pronounced the name as Buh tiff splik which was the only one that made sense to us.
We also missed the political satire in the strip, such as the Schmoo for Communism (I had a plastic set of schmoos made in the manner of the Russian Matrushka dolls) and General Bullmoose for General Motors, pronounced by y Louis Johnson, Truman’s Secretary of Defense. A perfect reason for the lack of upgrading in American industry and the failure of the US auto industry and steel in industry.
Franklin’s Third Ward where my father and uncle grew up was full of people with vowel-less names from Poland, Silesia, Czechoslovakia, Silesia, and Ruthenia so we were used to such names. And of course, Polish follows the same rules of pronunciation as German.
When we moved to Erie the East Side was mostly populated wit Poles and Germans who worked at the paper mill and the GE locomotive works.
There was a funeral home on the East Side with the marvelous name of Slomsky Przzwicky. I induced dad to drive the family there to view it.
This whole thing reminds one of the recurring Hee Haw skits.

Gloom, despair, and agony on me,
Deep, dark, depression, excessive misery,
If it weren’t for bad luck,
I’d have no luck at all,
Gloom, despair, and agony on me.

El Cutachero