obituary

Lynne Murphy m.l.murphy at SUSSEX.AC.UK
Thu Jan 29 10:08:48 UTC 2009

For those interested, these kinds of cross-Atlantic differences came up in
a discussion on my blog:
<http://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2007/11/information-structure-in-newspaper.html>

The book mentioned there, The Dead Beat by Marilyn Johnson, also discusses
this a bit.

Lynne

--On 28 January 2009 15:41 -0500 Victor <aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> No, no one died and caused me to write an obit to the list. Rather, I
> came across an article that covers various distinctions between
> "obituaries" and "death notices", mostly in UK vs. Canada context. In
> fact, the piece appears in the "Expat" section of the Telegraph. For
> one, the author, Jack Meadows, seems to have an obsession with narrowing
> down the definition of "obituary. It might be of interest. I'll try to
> keep the bandwidth down by not reproducing the piece in its entirety.
>
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/4361750/Canadian-newspapers-Everyone-get
> s-an-obituary.html
>
>     VS-)

Dr M Lynne Murphy
Senior Lecturer in Linguistics and English Language
Arts B135
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QN

phone: +44-(0)1273-678844