"rough around the ages"

Thu Jan 29 15:43:59 UTC 2009

Very interesting data, and if the misspelling really only goes only one way, and extends to other uses of "age" for "edge," then there is probably not semantic reinterpretation, at least for most speakers (though interspeaker variability is also possible).

It would be useful to see if "wage" replaces "wedge."
Different  dialects seem to be represented in Arnold's original data. The sequence "age" is easier to spell than "edge."

I can't check any of tjhis now ...

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>

Date:         Wed, 28 Jan 2009 23:00:16
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Subject:      Re: [ADS-L] "rough around the ages"

At 9:03 PM +0000 1/28/09, ronbutters at aol.com wrote:
>If this were just a spelling mistake based on supposedly homophonous
>age/edge then one would also find "sharp age sword" and "two years
>of edge."
>I'm not finding that.

Not the latter, which you wouldn't expect because the phonological
shift doesn't go in that direction.  As for the former, I do find a
number of "double-aged sword" hits, with the 'double-edged' meaning.
Hundreds more for "double-age sword" without the -d, and with various
metaphorical meanings, none involving age.  And one lonely "twin-aged
razor".  You can also bid for a valuable Thracian bronze dagger with
a double-aged blade.  All meanings possibly relevant here.

>And the phonology seems unlikely.

Really?  It's not *my* phonology, but tensing here doesn't seem that wild.

LH