wikipedia pronunciation

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jul 4 03:23:43 UTC 2009

At 1:40 AM +0000 7/4/09, Tom Zurinskas wrote:
>You'll have to work out the "logic" with the British Council report:
>
>Count of true native speakers of English.
>http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:English_dialects1997.png
>The British Council report from 2000 seems to be
>the newest and most reliable source. Dumbledore
>12:08, 30 Mar 2005 (UTC).  Data (only true
>native speakers!):
>                     American    British
>Canadian    Australian    Other    Total
>Percentage          67.2        16.9       5.8
>4.5           5.5      100.0
>Absolute (000s)     226,710     56,990
>19,700      15,316        18,581   337,297
>
>Look at a map of the USA.  England is about the size of Louisiana.

Why are we limiting the count to "true native
speakers"?  As Scot notes, English is spoken in a
lot of places other than those counted above, and
by a lot more speakers.  Indian English is sui
generis, but is a lot closer to varieties of
British English in most ways than it is to U.S.
English.  Have you interacted with call center
help lines recently?

LH