wikipedia pronunciation

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 4 04:52:39 UTC 2009

The English most suitable to the most native speakers is American English.  The data points out that this position is not a bias thing.  It's just plane fact by popularity numbers.  This goes to spelling as well as pronunciation.

This fact matters to ESL learners.  If you have a choice of learning UK versus USA English, the version suitable to the most native English speakers is USA English which has Webster spelling improvements.  These improvements came at the time British troops were attacking American and burned down The Whitehouse.  But that's ancient history.  We're friends now.

I care very much about spreading English to other nations.  Either UK or USA English will do, but the best English is USA, certainly in terms of spelling and majority use.  Why not go with the best.

I'm certain that truespel rather than the IPA does a better job of phonetically representing English and should be used to teach it.  IPA is like the asbestos of yore.  A good building material yet toxic.  So it's not used in America for reading instruction or portraying phonetics in our papers.

It's the Fourth of July.  God bless the ADS, and God Bless America.

see truespel.com

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.