Fwd: drinking kool-ade

Arnold Zwicky zwicky at STANFORD.EDU
Wed Jul 8 16:24:29 UTC 2009

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Ann Burlingham
> Date: July 8, 2009 8:39:52 AM PDT
> To: Arnold Zwicky
> Subject: drinking kool-ade
>
> from the booth behind me:
>
> "i may not have been brainwashed before i went to costa rica, but... i
> may not have drank the blue-and-white kool-aid, but i am brainwashed
> now"
>
> i think "blue-and-white" refers to colors of whatever corporation
> she's talking about - a business trip for a pharmaceutical company, i
> think. the other wording may be a little bit off, but "I may not have
> drank the blue-and-white kool-aid" is verbatim.

we've had threads on "drink the Kool-Aid" several times.  this is a
snowclonish extension of that expression.  fair number of hits for
"drank the * kool-aid", e.g.:

I drank the Obama Kool-Aid. That's what a friend told me after meeting
him on a recent visit to San Francisco, ...
leftinsf.com/blog/index.php/archives/1358

After a long round of BS with Helio Virgin Mobile, today Jim and I
took the plunge and drank the Apple Kool-Aid — we dumped Helio Virgin
Mobile and got ...
www.nickifaulk.com/2009/04/.../im-sorry-i-drank-the-kool-aid/

Yes, I drank the OPPO Kool-Aid... EWL5 is offline.
forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=2045415

Have you drank the CrossFit Kool Aid or taken a sip?
www.fatmanunleashed.com/drinking-the-crossfit-kool-aid

You drank the Marxist Kool-Aid - or was >> that KOOK-Aid that you drank?
groups.google.com/group/alt.politics.../9623a745f923c612

Having Drank the democrat's Kool-Aid. Bob Cesca paints a glowing
expectation of democratic party behavior: ...
themodulator.org/archives/002944.html

PHIL HENDRIE COMMITTED CAREER SUICIDE WHEN HE DRANK THE BUSH KOOL-
AIDLONG AGO. BUT HIS SHOW OFFICIALLY ENDS FRIDAY.
downwithtyranny.blogspot.com/.../phil-hendrie-committed-career-
suicide.html

("drank" as PSP of "drink" is well-known, but it occurs in a fair
number of these hits.)

arnold