"slang" (1746); insults - V. Popular Culture

Arun K Raman arunkr.shivers at GMAIL.COM
Mon Jul 27 11:38:58 UTC 2009

Is this also another reason why Rap music or any music aimed at a primarily
black audience (or at least is supposed to be marketed at a black market) is
usually met with derision or uncomfortability in the older black
generation?

I also digress onto another point now.

I remember growing up in India when an older friend would tell me what the
words fuck and bitch meant and at that time those words probably meant the
same thing as the word bread to me. He probably held them in a slightly
reverential regard. There was no other reason for him to tell them to me.
The culture in India now has changed quite a bit and keeps apace with the
rest of the world. I have no probably with the words myself and use them but
in select company. For example, my parents who grew up in India and now live
in America, I can't do it there. But they curse in Tamil/Hindi/Malayalam  in
words that have intrinsic meanings worse than Fuck or Son of a Bitch. In
other social settings, I curse or curb my tongue if it is apt.
---