ellipt

Randy Alexander strangeguitars at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 2 10:15:36 UTC 2009

Not in OED.

Verb form corresponding to the noun "ellipsis".

"ellipt" gives me 35,000 hits, but without quotes 71,880, some of them
as <elliptical>, etc.

CGEL p1456, footnote, says the word is "reasonably well established in
modern grammatical studies."  Rodney Huddleston says he couldn't find
it in any dictionaries, but I found it in one online dictionary:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ellipt

(Watch out for pop-up windows, or turn them off first.)

Some of the google hits are also of explanations/definitions of the term.

--
Randy Alexander
Jilin City, China