"Big Apple" revisited: Alain Locke's supposed 1919 Harlem/big apple quote (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wed Jun 3 16:36:47 UTC 2009

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

Can't help with Gerry's specific request, but here is an early "Big
Apple" cite that I don't find on Barry Popik's website.

_Poughkeepsie Eagle News_ Jan 8 1927 p. 6
"The Daybook of a New Yorker"
"New York, Jan. 7 -- Mayor Jimmy Walker is a slim little fellow, quick
and nervous in his movements like a vaudeville hoofer on the first night
of his first bite out of the Big Apple."

---------------
> --------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Cohen, Gerald Leonard" <gcohen at MST.EDU>
> Subject:      "Big Apple" revisited:  Alain Locke's supposed 1919
> Harlem/big
>               apple quote

> --------
>
> This is a follow-up and a request for assistance.
>
>     Barry Popik and I have been checking the statement as reported in
> the 1/17/2007 Wall Street Journal that A. Locke said in 1919: "Harlem
> is the precious fruit of the Garden of Eden, the big apple." The
> statement reportedly appears on a map of the Harlem Renaissance in the
> possession of Marc H. Miller (Founder and Director of Ephemera Press),
> but no source was cited.
>
>     I don't find the quote entered in Google books, and in some twenty
> years of research on the origin of "The Big Apple" neither Barry nor I
> have come across mention of it other than in the 2007 WSJ article.
> Marc Miller recently responded to a query of mine about this, but the
> source still remains unknown (a book of quotations in the B'klyn
Public
> Library--title not given--and the book of quotations did not cite the
> source of A. Locke's supposed 1919 "big apple" quote).
>
>      Barry's website (barrypopik.com)  comments: "I have spent many
> hours reading the Amsterdam News and New York Age, and looking at all
> of Locke's and [Fletcher] Henderson's works. "Big Apple" is not there
> before the 1930s."
>
>     The interpretation seems clear.  Unless a source can be located
for
> A. Locke's 1919 quotation, it should be regarded as non-existent.
But,