"Big Apple" revisited: Alain Locke's supposed 1919 Harlem/big apple quote (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Jun 3 22:19:46 UTC 2009

Yes, Bill.  But it wasn't easy.
>From what I could see, there is an underwhelming number of "Big Apple" exx.
before the popularity of the dance, and next to nothing (or less) referring
to NYC in general before the '60s or even '70s.

JL