eggcorn: "raise cackles"

Thu Jun 4 16:25:21 UTC 2009

>From a comment left on the NYT blog "The Lede":

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/04/students-respond-to-obama/?apage=6#comments
"Since Islam never went through the equivalent of a Reformation and
Counter-Reformation to hash out matters, little progress can be seen
beyond these execrable comments that raise no cackles at all at the NY
Times."

"Raise cackles" would seem to be an eggcornization of "raise hackles."
Other exx below, with varying degrees of eggcornosity:

---
http://wayneyang.wordpress.com/2006/06/08/james-whitlow-delano-interview/
Such a title might raise a few cackles, a Yank talking about the
growing pains of another country, particularly an ancient one.
---
http://current.com/items/89887216_the-obama-deception.htm
I do it with humor, and sometimes I do it for no other reason to raise
some cackles....like throwing steak to a rottweiler.
---
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/455469
Granted, I'm a hot food freak, but Inner Beauty sauce just doesn't
raise my cackles.
---
http://www.jossip.com/the-dead-monkey-cartoon-isnt-racist-20090219/
It is ambiguous enough and potentially offensive enough to as to raise
the cackles on any good editor, and should never have been published.
---
http://legalinsurrection.blogspot.com/2009/01/us-in-massive-arms-resupply-to-israel.html
This shipment also will raise the cackles of "peace" groups, like the
columnist who compared Israel to Auschwitz prison guards.
---
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2008/06/11/plane-collides-with-ufo-literally/#comment-67
There was a time I had a sense of humor about that sort of thing, and
I guess I still do to a point, but damn my eyes, even off-handed
pseudoscience is starting to raise my cackles!
---
http://www.quickstopentertainment.com/2005/01/28/trailer-park-happy-birthday-to-me/
It’s about Deep Throat so you can be sure it’s, at the very least,
going to raise some cackles in the hearts of bible belters somewhere
in this great land.
---
http://www.uptownupdate.com/2008/07/community-meeting-about-public-safety.html#comment-3731794661741244457
Finally, it's bad form to assume that bringing up a candidate into an
open forum won't raise the cackles of others.
---

--Ben Zimmer