"which we will get through this"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jun 7 13:51:48 UTC 2009

A currently airing commercial for Liberty Mutual Insurance--to
illustrate the take-home message, "Every day, people choose to do the
right ting. As an insurance company, we do too"--depicts a working
class salt-of-the-earth type paterfamilias addressing his
three-generation family around the dinner table in a strong regional
(mountain/Southern) accent:

"Things at work are...changing, just a little bit right now. There's
been some layoffs, and I don't know far that's gonna go. Some of the
promises that we made, your mother and I, they have to be put on hold
for a while.  Now this can turn around, it can change.  But as of
right now, we kinda gotta tighten the belt.  Which we *will* get
through this."

LH