"some many"?

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 12 07:20:58 UTC 2009

The term "some many" perhaps emerged as a kidism (to coin a word).  If the "so" in "so many" is mispoken (via an accent) by an adult as "suh" then "so many" becomes "suh many" which sounds the same to kids as "some many" in fluid speech.  So they think they're hearing "some many" instead of "so many" and they start writing it that way, which is phonetially true to what they are hearing.  Kids can gloss over the fact that it doesn't make sense.  It's gotta be right if the big people say it that way.

An example is kids hearing the word "hock" for "hawk" by awe-dropping adults, so they hear the term "hawk your wares" mispoken as "hock your wares", which means to pawn them instead of sell them.  Then kids grow up and actually spell the phrase as they've heard it, "hock your wares".  The adults are thinking "hawk", but as awe-droppers they're saying "hock".  The kids hear "hock" and don't realize what's going on.  Dialect inventions, like awe-dropping and vowel swapping, are causing misunderstanding.

Points to a need to stablize pronunciation through our educational establishments. The way our major news broadcasters in USA speak is a good model, although awe-dropping is even sneaking in there.  I heard Charles Gibson say "Honk Kong" with the "ah" instead of "awe" vowel recently.  I wonder how the Chinese say it.  Thefreedictionary.com has it with "awe" vowels, but m-w.com has it with "ah" vowels and with notation that shows "ah" vowels.  But m-w.com has a female awe-dropper saying the word.  She also mispronounces the word "awe" as "ah" though the notation says "awe".

I believe m-w.com is making many awe-dropping errors.  "Boss" is said with the "ah" vowel with notation as such, yet "loss,toss,moss" are said with the "awe" vowel.  Why change boss?  It always was with the "awe" vowel as well.  This is not good.  Accent affectations can be infectations.

see truespel.com