"i" before "e" except after "c" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 23 22:46:16 UTC 2009

I'm with you guys.

They covered this "story" on NPR tonight, and nobody concerned seemed to
have the slightest understanding of the purpose of the "rule." They talked
at length with some English jackass who seemed to believe that the "rule"
was responsible for
the spellings rather than the other way around, and that teachers who taught
the "rule" were unscientifically trying to restrain the growth of language.
("They haven't a clue," was his judgment, IIRC.)

He waxed enthusiastic about a guy in Syria he'd heard utter a three-word
sentence (sorry I couldn't catch it all) in which one word was English
("OK"), one was French and one was Arabic.
He indicated that teachers of the "rule" were the sworn enemies of this
fellow.

Slow news day? Or SOTA?

JL