[C18-L] Q: "Upham ’s Collection of Newspaper Extracts"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Jun 26 16:38:09 UTC 2009

Stephen [and others],

A correspondent elsewhere has given me the following information
about "Upham's Collection":

>                It is likely this is part of the Samuel Curtis Upham
> Archive, noted at
> <http://historical.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=6026&Lot_No=35016&src=pr>http://historical.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=6026&Lot_No=35016&src=pr
>
>".... other items in the archive are contained in an album, 9" x
>12", with "News Cuttings" printed on the cover. Therein are 81 pages
>to which have been mounted numerous well-preserved speeches, printed
>essays, tickets, programs, presentations, poems, letters, over sixty
>newspaper articles, ten patriotic envelopes, and four events ribbons.."
>What is being sought is also referred to as "Upham's Collection of
>English Newspaper cuttings"

And Stephen Goranson found the letter itself in the London Evening Post.

So, unless I feel a need to find the letter in an American newspaper,
my query is answered -- I have a primary source.

Joel

At 6/24/2009 06:24 PM, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>Can anyone help me identify something described as "Upham's
>Collection of Newspaper Extracts"?  It is cited as the source of a
>"private letter" dated 1755 from "Trent Town" in an 1897 volume of
>"Documents Relating to the Colonial History of the State of New
>Jersey" and the letter was supplied (for a section of newspaper
>items related to NJ) by an Albert Matthews of Boston.
>
>Although the "private letter" presumably appeared in some newspaper
>that Upham collected from, I have not found the text of the letter
>itself using Early American Newspapers.  For "Upham's Collection", I
>have not found anything in WorldCat, nor via Google Web or Google
>Books.  But perhaps my search terms have not been imaginative enough.
>
>Joel
>     To leave C18-L or adjust your subscription, click here:
>        http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=C18-L&A=1
>                To search the C18-L Archives:
>             http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=C18-L
>          Selected Readings, C18-L's online bibliography:
>       http://www.personal.psu.edu/special/C18/sr/sr.htm
>                    The C18-L Home Page:
>        http://www.personal.psu.edu/special/C18/c18-l.htm