I before E (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri Jun 26 15:49:25 UTC 2009

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

This rule is fine if you need to reference a rule every time you run
across a word with "ie" or "ei".  As I and others have said in this
string, though, most of the time you don't need a rule because you know
(by rote, instinct, memorization, or otherwise) how to spell a
particular word.  It's when you run across a word that you don't know
that a "rule" is useful, and in my case, "I before E except after C, or
when sounded as A as in Neighbor and Weigh" is perfectly useful -- it
almost always solves the problem I have at that instantaneous moment.

The words I don't know how to spell don't necessarily correlate with the
statistical distribution of words containing "ie" and "ei".

---------------
> --------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Tom Zurinskas <truespel at HOTMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: I before E

> --------
>
> Word frequency plays a role.
>
> In print the letter string "ie" appears in about 1% of all words. Of
> these
> The sound ~ee is associated with about 63%
> The sound ~ie (eye) is associated with about 21%
>
> In print the letter string "ei" appears in about 0.6% of all words.
Of

http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/Storage?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tu