velarized /l/ and Billy Holiday

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Mar 6 22:59:14 UTC 2009

Herb,

We seem to be getting there.  Personally, I can't say an "l" without putting my tongue to the top of my gums. That makes "l" alveolar not velar.  When I say the word "clock" the tongue for "c" goes to the back roof of the mouth, velar region, then for the "l" sound opens wide for "l" while the tip of the tongue is alveolar. This is before the vowel "o" ~aa.  After a vowel is no different.  Also, the vowel sound in "put or pull" is far more open at the velum than say "ee" is.

In summary, I'd say the velum plays no primary or secondary role in saying the "l" sound ~l. If anything the tongue is pulled away from the velum while being alveolar engaged.

see truespel.com