velarized /l/ and Billy Holiday

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Sat Mar 7 03:04:57 UTC 2009

No, Tom, we don't.  No one has claimed that English /l/ is not
alveolar.  The question is what's happening in the back of the oral
cavity at the same time.  In post-vocalic /l/, the tongue rises to /U/
position.  There is xray photographic evidence to show that opening
between velum and back of tongue in /U/ is narrower than that in /i/.
With /i/ the narrowing is at the palate, not at the velum.  You were
roughly right about the primary articulation of /l/ and the place of
articulation of /k/.  Otherwise your facts are wrong.  What I don't
understand is, your commitment to your spelling system
notwithstanding, how you can remain so determinedly uninformed about
the basic facts of English phonetics.

Herb