"to stay" vs. "to live" (reside)

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 8 23:19:21 UTC 2009

I should have added that the parents or grandparents of many of these
older people immigrated from eastern Kentucky and eastern Tennessee
between 1880 and 1903, when the Indiana Gas Boom attracted a lot of
industry to the area.  Industry boomed, including the Ball Brothers
Glass Manufacturing Company, which moved from Buffalo to Muncie in
1887.  A lot of us probably grew up on garden raised vegetables
preserved in Ball canning jars.  During the decade after Ball Brothers
move to Muncie they imported whole trainloads of workers from
Appalachia to staff their factory.  In Muncie, the White River divides
the town north/south.  The south side remains heavily industrial, if
less so now, and Upper South in speech, and the north side tends to be
university, professional, and Lower North.  The caught/cot merger
isogloss also seems to bisect the city.  Our oldest child graduated
from Northside High School and has caught/cot.  Our younger two
attended Central High School, after Northside was merged into Central,
and have low back vowel merger.

Herb