Uvular /l/ (Was: velarized /l/ again)

Sat Mar 14 06:02:13 UTC 2009

Neal,
Your /l/ is different from the one I'm describing, but it's in the
same place of articulation.  I perceive mine as oral; the air seems
to be escaping around the uvula, which barely touches the tongue
(less so than for /G/, say), and the sides of the tongue seem down.
The tip is nowhere near the roof of the mouth.  Wells (1982)
describes a true velar [L] as characteristic of Southern American
dialects; mine may be a back velar one.  But it's not a velarized /l/
(which I use more often, actually; remember, I was trainbec not to
use this uvular or back velar /l/).  The sound you're describing is
IPA small-cap /N/, and contrasts with engma in languages like
Greenlandic.

Paul Johnston