more on "break a leg"

Victor aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 15 08:01:14 UTC 2009

A couple of minor points
1) I am not convinced that the anti-good-luck-wishing superstition is or
has been peculiar to the acting subculture--when everyone is convinced
of something as a fact when there is little evidence of it, it's time to
reconsider its status as an urban legend
2) "jinx" is a matter of coincidence that results in or is indicative of
bad luck, and has little to do with wishing-good-luck superstition; jinx
is also a fairly recent expression--which may or may not also be true of
the underlying superstition. More importantly, the term "jinx" is
useless since it was in use as a personal name at least as late as 1911.