more on "break a leg"

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sun Mar 15 14:45:42 UTC 2009

I wasn't saying the anti-good-luck-wishing superstition was peculiar to
acting. I was saying, in response to the post about there not being such a
superstition in general, that just because there isn't a broad superstition
doesn't mean the superstition can't exist in particular subcultures and
circumstances. (And I'm not convinced there isn't a broad,
anti-good-luck-wishing superstition; it crops up again and again. Another
example, from baseball this time, is not mentioning a no-hitter in progress.
If we keep this thread going, I think we'll find dozens of other examples.
Just because we don't have a word for something, doesn't mean the concept
doesn't exist--and we do have such a word, "jinx.")

As to "jinx," I was thinking of the sense of jinx referring to the
superstition of saying something and then not having it come true, as in
"now it's not going to happen since you just jinxed it." I was not putting
"jinx" forward as being linguistically related to "break a leg;" I was
putting forward an example of anti-good-luck wishing superstition.

And "break a leg" is also a relatively recent development, more recent than
"jinx." I think the earliest citation anyone has found is from 1957 ("Nobody
Said 'Break Leg'--So Actress Does It," Union-Bulletin (Walla Walla, WA), 29
May 1957, Evening, 7.)--although there are personal recollections that date
the phrase to the 1930s.

(A 1954 newspaper article refers to "neck and leg break." The same article
also says that the director of that particular production had literally
broken his leg during a rehearsal, yet the article does not refer to the
phrase "break a leg" specifically, indicating that that particular phrase
was not in the lexicon of that troop of actors or the reporter. "Director is
Hurt During Rehearsal," News (Frederick, MD), 18 June 1954, 4.)