the three "n" s

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 24 02:25:08 UTC 2009

I think you're talking about the letter <n>, not the phoneme /n/.
Certainly before a consonant the nasal is homorganic to that
consonant, which is what you're pointing out below.  However, there's
a little more involved.  The tongue forms the same sort of  "dam" in
/t, ch, k, d, j, g/.  The reason the airstream passes through the nose
with /m, n, ng/ is that the velum is lowered, opening the passage
through the nose, a separate gesture from what the tongue is doing.
While you're right, as I just noted, that there is no phonemic
contrast in nasals before a consonant, you could just as well include
/m/ here, even thought it's represented orthographically by a
different letter, <m>.  The priniciple is the same.  The nasal is
homorganic to a following consonant, in this case /p/ as in "lamp."
You insist that there is an actually pronounced /g/ after the nasal in
"sing," a fact that many of us have disputed and that Paul give some
good dialect examples of below.  Would you also say that there is a
final /b/ in "lamb" or "comb"?  Would these be different from "lam" or
"jamb"?  Both /b/ and /g/ got lost from speech in most dialects
several hundred years ago.

Herb