the three "n" s

Tom Zurinskas truespel at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 24 17:50:41 UTC 2009

Perhaps I should say; "three ways of making the sound ~n".  I don't think the three n sounds (in winter,finger,danger) are qualitatively different very much, since airflow is rerouted through the nose in each case.  The ~n sound is nasal and doesn't matter much what the tongue or mouth does.

I've got a touch of a "g" in "sing", made by the tongue going down off the velum (when saying the word in isolation).   But for "sing a song" the "g" becomes fully formed leading the vowel "a".  Allophones.

Note: I can't say "sing" without pronouncing the vowel as "long e" ~ee before the "ng" or "nk" in the same syllable.  I find this typical of UK or USA English even though dictionaries prescribe short i.

see truespel.com