snowclone: [X] porn

Mark Mandel thnidu at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 29 02:52:48 UTC 2009

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Jesse Sheidlower <jester at panix.com> wrote:
> It's in OED, _porn_ n.(2) sense 2, "As the second element in
> compounds: denoting written or visual material that emphasizes
> the sensuous or sensational aspects of a non-sexual subject,
> appealing to its audience in a manner likened to the
> titillating effect of pornography," with quotes back to 1973,
> including _food porn_, _disaster porn_, _gastro-porn_,
> _weather porn_, etc.

And the 1991 cite, from the sf semi-pro magazine "Locus", comments on
the productivity of the construction:

1991 Locus May 19/2 Practically anything that can be obsessed about
turns up as hyphenated pornography: food-porn, disaster-porn.

It's common among my LiveJournal friends, many or most of whom are
also sf fans. I even have an LJ icon for it
(http://l-userpic.livejournal.com/83512282/5405934).

Mark Mandel